Facebook is generating over 500 TB per day. Google, 20PB.
She wants to tackle the issues of traffic dynamics in large scale networks by injecting flexibility into design.
- design flexible spectrum auction systems to match dynamic traffic, since US auctions off large chunks of the spectrum covering the entire country.
- add flexible wireless links to address traffic hotspots in data centers. (Directional 60GHz links between the different racks that is configurable--but any racks in the way must repeat the signal, since 60GHz is line of sight).
- they use reflections off the ceiling to avoid these problems (3D Beamforming)
Dynamic spectrum auction
- most allocated spectrum sits idle.
- using an auction
- truthful auction as e dominant method to remove gain from cheating. Ex: Vicky auction (second price auction)
- she integrates allocation with pricing: greedy allocation based on bids, winner X pays the bid of its critical neighbor.
How is this different than how radio stations split their frequencies based on location?
Note the use of a Kautz \(\) graph overlay of nodes in the data centers, which allows them to handle arbitrary network size and incremental growth. They show that 92% of paths can run concurrently.